2024 Our Cruise to Alaska on The Celebrity Edge
June 7th - June 14th 2024
We finally got to go on the cruise we thought we were going on in 2020... We had signed up as "interested" when we signed the lease in February 2020 for our apartment at Campus Towers but before that could get organized Covid shut all the cruises down.
I brought the idea back to life at a resident council meeting in October 2023 when I raised my hand and asked "What about organizing that Alaskan cruise?" A month later when the organization meeting for the cruiser's was held, we were getting the test results back on Lou's throat and it wasn't looking very good that we would be going on this cruise either.
As the next few months went by and the others were booking their rooms, Lou was going through another round of 35 radiation treatments. Finally in May, when the doctors gave us the "okay", we booked ours. Along with our room, I booked a foldable electric scooter to help Lou get around the ship and rented a car in Juneau for us to drive ourselves rather than try to get on a bus to see things.
We weren't involved in selecting the ship or cruise dates. We let the others figure all of that out. We were part of a group from Campus Towers. So all the details were pretty much worked out by them. All we had to do was get our stuff figured out and organized so we wouldn't take too much along. I have no idea how anyone goes on a cruise with just one suitcase and a carry on. Lucky for me, we weren't flying. Our group rented the Campus Towers shuttle bus to take all of us to the ship. They had to remove the back to seats to get all the suitcases to fit though. Not just mine. Everyone's!
We sailed out of Seattle on the Celebrity Edge. This was the FIRST season for the Edge to be in North America. It's usually in Australia / New Zealand waters. Captain Matt was as much of a legend for being a little gutsy as the buffet was known for being spectacular. Neither one was a disappointment.
Since we booked in May and our cruise was June 7th to the 14th, our room selection was narrowed down for us. We might not have picked this room in November but by May it was one of about 20 left. It had a bit of an obstructed view but it was still very enjoyable. It came with special room service as well. Waking up to a nice breakfast on our room's enclosed veranda balcony was simply wonderful.
Captain Matt certainly knew everything about his ship. We were very confident we were on the best ship with the best Captain at the helm. The ship was amazing. It took us all week to see all of it.
After Ketchikan we cruised up Endicott Arm to see Dawes Glacier. That was a very early and very cold morning. I was glad we packed our ski coats and gloves.

I know I took 2,000 photos during our week long cruise but I think over 600 of those were taken while we were in Skagway. It's surrounded by mountains. I could spend a few days there if we ever go again but I don't think the weather is this good all the time. We were really blessed with all of it! Lou even found the red gloves we thought he had lost! We had a lot of fun. Learned a lot trying to get ready for this cruise and learned even more once we were on the ship. This ship was a great choice and we're grateful to the ones that organized it and made it a GREAT TRIP!












0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home