Blessings to you in the New Year.... from the Aschenbrenners
On December 18th, I sent for our mail to be forwarded to us from our South Dakota mail forwarding service but somehow it didn't go out. I called this morning for a tracking number and was told they would get it out today, December 26th. So I'm gonna be opening our Christmas cards a little late this year... but it just makes me realize what it must be like for those that don't get any cards or letters for Christmas.... makes me feel guilty. Guess I better get mine out. I haven't even begun writing it yet but I do have an idea for the first line... "Well, we certainly didn't think 2017 would end up like this..."
And that's a fact. We certainly didn't think 2017 would end up like this... We have departed the Mountain Ministries facility in Rainier and we are homeowners since August. Lou is now working as a part time maintenance person at a senior housing facility, punches a time clock and gets a paycheck. We've traded our SD residence status for Oregon driver's licenses. How's that for a dramatic lifestyle change?
On May 11th, Mountain Ministries Women of Faith had a catastrophic ending when the relationship between the founder of the Men's facility and the Directors of the women's facility completely broke down. As Hard Hats for Christ construction missionaries we are not to get involved with disagreements or splits in leadership so in order to keep Hard Hats for Christ out of the middle... we resigned from Hard Hats for Christ on May 15th so that we could get involved and perhaps bring about a mediation. Our biggest heartbreak was witnessing the women torn apart and watch them leave the facility angry, confused and for the most part, absolutely devastated. Their numbers went from over 30 down to 8 by the end of June. The end of June was when we realized that we had to figure out where to go and find another purpose other than there.
It was obviously impossible for Tad and Connie Kruse to continue their women's ministry under the name "Mountain Ministries" at this facility so they created Women of THE WAY Discipleship and tried finding a different location. The reality was that Lou and I couldn't afford a facility for a women's ministry and Tad & Connie would be homeless in a few months. Just a stick built home on a couple acres was over $300,000.00. The end of June the Lord opened one door and it became obvious that He was making a way for us to purchase this small home on 4.23 acres 7 miles west of Rainier, Oregon. We closed on the house August 14th and remodeling/renovations were quickly begun BUT NOT by us. Insulation, drywall, removing the popcorn ceiling, refinishing hardwood floors was done by other friends, construction missionaries who understood the situation. PRAISE THE LORD FOR THOSE THAT HELPED US. This house wasn't for us. This house was for Tad & Connie and their children. We would continue to live in our motor home here on the property as well.
Seems we were barely settled when Lou started working at Campus Towers in November as a part time maintenance person. We go to work together twice a week for about five hours a day. They contacted Hard Hats for Christ in the middle of summer looking for a jack-of-all-trades come-in-as-needed person and we were highly recommended to them as the couple that fit that need. Lou's the guy with the skills and knowledge and I'm volunteering as his go-fer. Campus Towers is a senior housing apartment building owned by North Lake Baptist Church. it's about 8 floors tall and has 89 apartments in it. Lou is really enjoying this phase of using his skills to serve others. We are both glad to be able to have the health to still do this kind of work together. There are not too many men his age still able to be crawling under sinks to clear a drain or climbing ladders to change out light fixtures on a 10 foot pitched ceiling. I have skills too... I am either holding the flashlight or holding the ladder... sometimes both!~
It took me until just before Christmas to see the Light and Love in what took place over the summer but now I can see it. The facility in Rainier is being staffed by graduates of both the men's and women's Mountain Ministry program. They are serving where the Lord has planted them. Tad and Connie still have a heart to serve the Lord to bring women out of their addictions. What seems broken apart now is just a way for the Lord to scatter and plant seeds for growth. As painful as it was to be in the shredding (and believe me, it was painful) it will be all the more glorious to see the harvest.
I started writing this the day after Christmas and I am finishing it just as the last booms of New Years fireworks fade. It was impossible for me to write this any sooner but in this last week I've been able to get motivation to put 2017 down on paper. Before I close the lid on 2017 there's some important family events that took place that need to be announced.
May 29, 2017 - Brittany Millard added another boy, Lou's 5th Great Grandson... Jeffery Daniel made quite an entrance at 9.9 lbs 19-1/2 inches! He has two older brothers, Connor James born 7/20/2011 at 8 lbs 13 oz & 22 1/2 inches long and Colton 8lbs 8oz born 10/7/2013.
June 10, 2017 - Lou's grandson, Patrick Millard, married Kimberly Gatza in Elgin, Illinois. We were not able to attend but are so very proud and happy for them. Kim is a teacher and Patrick is a tool and die maker (I hope I have that right). They have a townhouse in Lake in the Hills, IL.
July 18, 2017 Jennifer and Garrett Gray had a baby girl~! Talitha Marie Gray, born TUESDAY, July 18, 2017 at 2:27pm 8 lbs 5 oz 20”long. (This is Lou's first Great Grand DAUGHTER~!)She has two older brothers, Soren Jeffrey Gray was born Tuesday, June 5, 2007 and Jaxson Garrett Gray Monday, Feb 6, 2012 at 8lbs 1oz, 20 1/4
Jennifer, Patrick and Brittany are Lou's grand children. Their parents are Beverlee and Jeff Millard, Elgin, IL. Bev is Lou's youngest daughter. You can imagine how busy 2017 was for them with both daughters having their 3rd babies and their son getting married.
My son and daughter-in-law, Jeremy and Sarah Padlo, just added a new fur-baby to their family yesterday. A little English Setter named Chilly. That name might have something to do with trying to house break a puppy with all the snow they've had in Grand Rapids, Michigan this past week. They have a son, Roman, who is going to be four in May and a daughter, River, who will be two in April. I've just begun to skype with Roman but he's not ready to sit down and talk. He wants to move around the room to show me things while not staying where I can see him.
So that's a wrap for 2017. Blessing to you in the New Year!!
Hugs
Kathy and Lou
Pictures from 2017 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3BhLucUiz61qnjk2

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home